Sunday, January 9, 2011

Okra (Bhendi) Fry

Welcome 2011!

Somehow 2010 passed away so soon. Lot of achievements during the year like I got my driving license, my daughter passed her masters with flying colors and a couple of other personal milestones! I wish 2011 also to be a year filled with joy & happiness to all!


When I had been to Chicago last month I realized something which I want to share.I was thrilled to note that my daughter Lavanya's American & Asian friends were fascinated seeing me make chappathi! They loved the taste of it....just goes to show that good food,whatever cuisine is well enjoyed by all. Here's an Okra recipe which Lavanya's friend, Tiffany Hayden requested:

Ingredients:
1/2 kg.okra
1 onion chopped
Salt 1 tsp or to taste
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder 3/4-1 tsp
To season:
Oil 2 tbl spoons.
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds

Method:
Wash and wipe okra well so that it doesn't turn slimy & sticky once cooked. Cut it into 1" pieces.
Heat oil in a kadai or wok.
Add the mustard and cumin seeds.
When it splutters add the chopped onions and keep stirring till the onions turn pink.
Add the chopped okra. Mix well.
Reduce the flame,cover and keep for about 5 min.
Add salt,turmeric,chilli powder and mix well.
Leave it open till the okra pieces are fried and are golden brown in color.
Can be served with chapathi or rice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome... welcome back amma!

t.hay said...

Hi, How are you!?!? I hope all is well. I've tried this recipe a few times and have been meaning to leave a comment. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING! This recipe is absolutely delicious and I've shared it with friends and family of mine who love okra! The prep and cook time is minimal and it comes out consistently wondeful!

Thank you again.